T he roots of Mason Funeral Home go back over 120 years. In 1888 Karl Hofmann, a local cabinet maker, started Hofmann Lumberyard. At that time, it was common for the local cabinet maker to build caskets and help care for the deceased when someone in the community died. Upon the death of Karl Hofmann, the business was renamed H.J. Hofmann and Son Funeral Home and Lumberyard and was owned and operated by H.J. and Chester Hofmann. For many years this business was located on the Mason Square where Hemphill Insurance is now located.
In 1961, Chester Hofmann moved the funeral home to its present location and Chester and his wife, Virgil Banks Hofmann, operated the funeral home. Shortly after the death of Chester in 1968, Winfred and Elaine Atwood moved to Mason and helped Virgil operate the business. In 1970, Mason Funeral Home was bought by the Atwood family. In the early 1970's they remodeled the funeral home and added a new chapel. They continued to own and operate the funeral home through 1999.
On January 1, 2000, Mason Funeral Home was bought by Randall "Randy" Beckmann. Randy's great-grandfather was a cabinet maker, just like Kurt Hofmann, and he founded Beckmann's Funeral Home in Fredericksburg. Randy is the fourth generation of his family to be involved in funeral service.
Other funeral homes may come and go, but at Mason Funeral Home, you can depend on us to be here to provide compassionate, professional care -- just as we always have, since 1888.